Friday, September 09, 2011

Custom Pulp Cover Commission

Ladylens_3d

My most recent commission is now in possession of the client who commissioned it. I had a great time creating this one. 

The commissioner of this original, one-of-a-kind birthday gift e-mailed me the targets photo and details such as: 
"hates having her photo taken" 
"loves music, Ramones, Bassnector, Pretty Lights…" 
"favorite dive bar is the hairy monk…"
BUT, the one detail that resonated with me while designing this piece was this:
"…loves horror movies - mainly foreign horror movies that are more thriller versus the Saw movies (which she hates)."

I can relate very much with that last request. I had just re-watched Roman Polanski's Repulsion and I kept on imagining hands and cameras reaching out to get her. I wanted to create a creepiness, but, unlike Catherine Deneuve, I wanted to make the protagonist seem in control. Almost inquisitively rebellious. I hope this is understood, but especially by the birthday girl.

If you're interested in your very own custom canvas commission please feel free to drop me a line. I'm pretty good at scheduling them in to my regularly scheduled workload. Plus, they're hella fun to make. Like cooking rabbit!!

Posted via email from dawlism

No comments:

Post a Comment