Saturday, May 07, 2011

Hong Kong Phooey redo

Hongkongphooey1

I'm continuing my series of cartoon/comics redesigns with one of my favorite childhood Saturday morning cartoons. Hong Kong Phooey falls into the long list of Hanna-Barbera's haphazard heroes (Captain Caveman, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Jabberjaw, Magilla Gorilla, etc.). I adored most of these ridiculous characters because they taught me not to take this genre TOO seriously. This caused me to make many characters of my own who had paranormal abilities or talents that were more of an obstacle than an attribute (ex. The Brass Lantern: previously developed with A.G. Devitt about a guy who shines light on crime… with his eyes). Someday you will see some examples on this blog you are reading. Someday.

Until then, please enjoy the stuff that inspired me as I bastardize their image. Thanks.

Posted via email from dawlism

No comments:

Post a Comment