Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Freelancing is the wave of the future.

I'm about to be laid off. Tomorrow is my last day at a small town publishing job I was employed for 3 years exactly. I started this job by walking into the place 3 years ago offering up my illustration abilities. I just moved back from San Francisco. They just lost a full color graphic designer and when they saw my resumé, I was swept into the conference room with the GM, Production Manager and the editor of their weekly newspaper. There may have been another person present but I'll be damned if I can remember. I'm getting old. ha. ha. hee. hee. hoo.
I was handed the reigns of all their full color real estate guides, irregular business profiles, and random flotsam that erupted when need be. This went on for 2 years. almost.
Not too long ago they fired a bunch of inconsistent folks. The ones that weren't fired, moved on. Smart move. I decided to stay on for lack of better judgment. Primarily because I just bought a house and I don't have a car of my own. All the while continuing a thin connection with my freelance illustration and graphic design studio.
By the end, I was the only creative left to put the paper together. Everything else was halted. I was then relocated to the weekly newsprint (when I say 'relocated', I mean I just started working on the newspaper from the computer at my desk. Although I did physically move my desk eventually. for the view).
I had little to know about newspaper layout and, since I wanted to continue the weekly paycheck, I convinced the powers-that-be that I could figure it out and we didn't need to hire anybody new. This worked and I was able to call myself a 'Creative Director' since I was performing all the creative duties and essentially, directing all the creative decisions at the time. Pathetic thing is, I never was granted any help to lay out the paper. The company put a freeze on hiring and raises. Luckily, I just got a nice increase and was happy. Still am, actually. The great thing is, I learned a lot of what not to do in business. I also saw that this company was going the way of the Great American Buffalo so I started strengthening my freelance business about 3 months prior to this day. Otherwise, I wouldn't be blogging about them now.
Please don't worry about me. It's going to be a smooth transition.
I just wanted you to know.
Whomever you are.
oh, and my friend, Colin has a comic for sale. check it out. It's called Dead Man Holiday. And it jumps the shark right out the gate, so it has nothing to worry about except goodness from here on in. BUY!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm clawing my eyes out over money right now, but still managing to pick up a decent amount of freelance work.

    As my great grandfather used to say, "'Tis better to have jumped the shark, then never to have sharked the jump 'tall."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon,
    You sound awfully positive about this and so I hope it goes well and you never look back.
    Best,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete