Saturday, January 05, 2008

Neko Case!

I haven't been to a live music show in a few years. the last one was Built to Spill and I was so bored of watching the routine of people holding odd shaped items in their hands while chin dancing at a microphone I walked out and sat on the local bench, listening while watching the people walk by. live shows just don't do it for me. I tend to not get drawn into the whole thing. I look around and see all these people enamored with the performers and I feel totally out of place. I dissect what's happening on stage. analyzing the strum of a guitar or a whisper of a vocalist. I like doing that. the problem lies in the audience that is hootin' and hollerin' on every side of my audible reach. I don't blame them, I get it. I just don't go to a show for a party, I go for the music. And this is why I have not been to a live show in a long time.
Neko Case may change all that. I will being seeing her at the State Theatre in Ithaca. I've heard a few live shows of hers and they all sound pitch perfect and deliciously ear-engaging. So, hopefully, I'll enjoy myself and walk away thinking of the next musical choice to watch live. it's my new year's resolution. to get out more among the people and watch more live shows. I'll lose weight when I'm dead.

Addendum: I have seen a band called The Brunettes play live and they were so good I would like to see them again. this was the 2nd to last live show I saw. I highly recommend you see them live. even if the music doesn't do anything for you. Heather Mansfield is adorably talented. the band is fun and there's lots to watch.

P.S.
I know is a sketch blog so here:
this is the initial sketch of the piece I did for Ins & Outs Magazine for their 10th anniversary. see the finished product here. tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment